Tuesday, August 4, 2009

interior on the cheap part 2 sound deading and carpet

part 2 on the shop trucks interior, in part 1 I made interior door cards and trim panels on the cheap, less than 100.00 USD. in keeping with that theme , the carpets needed to be done, and while I was there I wanted to deaden the sound, cause this is a huge steel can that I sit in, very noisy , not in a bad way, but it does ware on me. Doing it on the cheap Photobucketabove is the materials I used for this all bought at Lowes 5 rolls of roofing patch ,it is a alum backed polybutal tape that comes in rolls , It in the roofing repairs section of the store 2 rolls of indoor/outdoor carpet, this amount is enough to do the entire cab, (62.5 sqft) contact cement and a chip brush Photobucketthe metal needs to be clean I used mild soapy water and a rag next I wiped down all the surfaces with Alc and a lint free rag Photobucketmeasured and applied , I did have a heat gun to help with the rolling It is not a nessary but it does make it easer. Photobucket
Photobucket
[Photobucket
PhotobucketI am doing the whole cab so take your time get it looking good it should take about 7 hrs to do this to a single cab next comes carpet I made my 'kit' in 8 pieces . Behind the seat, there are an upper and lower
Photobucket
Photobucket

wheel humps get one each, stopping at the welded seam, one for the center of under seat
Photobucket
and the floor for your feet
Photobucket
there are two more smaller panels that go in tho the tire well on the insides of the wheel arches and one for the 'floot for that area I made each one of the pieces and left about 1/4 inch extra on all edges test fitting as I went next come gluing, I would suggest getting a cheap pressure pot spray gun with the largest tip you can find then spraying all all the surfaces that are being put in place.If not, than using a brush is fine.
Photobucket

now it is just a matter of installing the carpet. I like working from the top down and in sections . Making sure that the glue is dry to the touch start with the center and working your way out pressing comes after it is were you want.
Photobucket

as you work towards the edges you will need to remove the extra, a stiff putty knife helps,just work the edge and cut as you go usins a sharp box cuter
Photobucket
Photobucket
now come the reinstall of shifter
Photobucketwith the seats and shifter installed looks like it should
Photobucketall in all not bad, day and a half labor, under 150.00 UDS and a very quiet truck

1 comment:

  1. Not bad! I wanna go for a ride sometime so I can hear how quiet it is in there. Unfortunately, I won't have a baseline reference (i.e. pre-install) but I bet it makes a huge difference! Cheaper than Dyno-Mat for sure.

    ReplyDelete