Saturday, August 1, 2009

new panels..... Material List 2 sheets of 1/8 masinite 1 quart contact cement 10 sq. yards of backed exterior vinyl 1 china brush, (cheap) Photobucket this is what I started with, after I removed the purple fur material that screams 70's All of the interior panels looked like ass. before I threw them in the trash I traced them on to the masinite . Photobucket after tracing all of the panels and cutting them out, Photobucket I used an air shear for the cutting and a belt sander for the smoothing , but a jig saw will work just fine PhotobucketPhotobucket lay out the new door cards on the vinyl and cut out leaving a min of 1/2 " extra around all sides Photobucket coat the face of the panel and the back on the now cut fabric with contact cement, you can use the stuff in the can and spray it, but it is cheaper to to buy the qt can and brush it on. let it dry. If you want to put any designs in the panels now is the time to install them, We went with our logo. Photobucket after you have that down, coat the top face of your design with contact cement and let dry to the touch,I usually let every thing set up for 30 min. place you material on the card and remove the air bubbles then press the material on to the card. I like using a wallpaper roller. Photobucket now wrap the edges around the back of the cards and press the edge down, once again using my wall paper seam roller. next I like to compress the cards a vac press is ideal for this, but if you don't have one , stack the cards in pairs in-between two pieces of plywood and set weight on them, and leave them for a min of 12 hrs this is what they look like when them come out of the press Photobucket after you clean them with IPA PhotobucketPhotobucket notice the inserts Photobucket I used some scraps of the vinyl for mine, you can use foam but I am doing this on the cheap

No comments:

Post a Comment